Child Support Basic Q&A: Information You Should Know

Child Support Attorney in ProvoOften a part of a divorce, separation, or annulment, a child support order may be issued by a juvenile or district court. It is your right to demand that your child's non-custodial parent provide financial support in the care of your child if the non-custodial parent is capable of generating income.

While it will be in your child or children's best interests to have a child support attorney in Provo looking out for their right to this kind of financial assistance, the more knowledge you have about it, the better.

How Much Should Your Child Receive?

Your lawyer can help you accomplish a worksheet from the court that will give you an idea how much to ask for. You may also use an interactive calculator that will prepare the worksheet. Calculations typically depend on custody arrangements, so the amount your child receives may not be the same as others.

Can the Amount Change?

There are guidelines for coming up with the amount, which may change if you or both you and your ex-spouse make a request to the court. There must be a good reason for this request for child support modification. Typically, a parent may ask for a change in the amount if their income changes; for example, if a parent loses their job and gets a new one that does not pay as much.

What if a Parent Refuses to Pay?

You cannot refuse to pay child support even if the custodial parent withholds your time with the child. In the same manner, you cannot refuse parent time even if the non-custodial parent has missed support payments. The court can enforce an order if either of these happens, once you ask the court to do it.

You and your ex-spouse share a responsibility towards your child or children. Your divorce should not in any way change your role as parents.